Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Other Thrifty Ideas

Did you know you can make syrup without buying if from the store? You can make almost anything by yourself. I love homemade salad dressings. I am learning a few and loving it. And then I know what I am eating. And it cost less.

Buy things in bulk and pay less per ounce or pound. Besides the links I listed in the previous posts, Kitchen Kneads is on Redwood Rd and about 75th south. They are a kitchen store that you can buy your wheat flour, noodles, candy making supplies, TVP (texturized vegetable protien, what you eat at Taco Bell in there tacos) and much more. Kitchen Kneads also has cooking classes for making breads, cooking with beans and others I just can't think of right now.
Buy and stock up during caselot sales. Try to set money aside each paycheck to save for times like this and you can afford to buy in bulk.

Use the envelope system to stick to your budget. It is the only way Frank and I dare to budget right now. When he gets paid, we figure out all the utilities that will be automatically withdrawn and the fuel that I will use the debit card for and then I take the rest out in cash. I pay our tithing and or fast offerings, then I put the rest into envelopes that fit our catagories, like groceries, gifts, food storage, clothes, and etc. Oh, and doing forget to build up your savings, of course. Then when I go to the store I always make sure I know how much I have in my envelopes and as I put things in my cart, I write the price down and keep a tally so I don't go over. When the money is gone from the envelope, I am done until he gets paid again.

Rose LeDuc mentioned she would like to try a class on kids' snacks and other things around kids. What other things would you all be interesting in covering? I am also hoping Rose will get us her mexican enchilada sauce she talked about.

No comments:

Post a Comment